Wednesday, September 14, 2011

OBX 5 - Sightseeing

Wednesday, Sept 14.

Up at 1 A.M.  My back hurts so much it is hard to pick up Tyler.  I put him in bed with me and nursed him on and off for most of the night.  Around sunrise I poked Tom to put Tyler back in his crib in the other room.  The bed is a firm king-size so it works well for co-sleeping.  It was nice to sleep with him and I managed to get some good sleep.

I was a little grumpy in the morning so I slept in.  Then Tom and I headed out for some sightseeing with Tyler.  First we went to the Bodie Island Lighthouse, part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, near South Nags Head.  The visitor center was closed due to flooding from the recent hurricane.  The boardwalk through the marsh was nice but a little buggy.  Tom pushed Tyler in the stroller.

Then we headed out to Fort Raleigh National Historic Sigh and toured the museum of artifacts for the lost colony of Roanoke Island.  I wanted to see the remains of the fort, but again the mosquitoes were really bad so we headed back to the house.  I can't imagine what the colonist went through living here without bug spray or even nets to protect you while you sleep.
The highlight of the day was going out to dinner with just Tom while my mother-in-law graciously babysat Tyler and put him to bed for the night.  I believe this was only our second time out for dinner together since he was born.  We even got to stop a few times on the way home and shop.  Afterwards we went for a walk on the beach.  The harvest moon over the water was beautiful and lit our way.  But alas, the mosquitoes, even on the slightly breezy beach, drove us inside.

We heard from the locals that the mosquitoes were very bad because of the hurricane and planes were used last week to spray the area.

1 comment: